Sunday, March 23, 2014
In November, Ginger Parrot shared this map, published from an interesting article by Irishman James McInerny, highlighting the areas of northern Europe with the highest population of gingers. The article has some interesting genomic microbiology details about the chromosomes of redheaded people. Not surprisingly there's a large concentration in the UK but, contrary to popular imagination, Scotland has a higher percentage than Ireland: 13% to the Irish 10%. I certainly saw far more gingers in Scotland than in Ireland. But what's with that big spot in Russia?
Monday, June 17, 2013
Now that we’re half way through 2013, I’m finishing up that blog I started in January on forecasted trends for this year. We’ll analyze how much of them we’ve seen come to pass...or at least I’ll provide my inspired commentary.
The Sharing or Peer Economy – Triple Pundit describes these phrases as business built on the sharing of resources – allowing customers to access goods when needed. We’ve seen lots of websites spring up in the last five years allowing participants to share household goods, apparel and accessories (Bagborroworstreal.com), recycle no-longer-needed items (freecycle), coops for fresh foods, photos (flikr), etc.. Now the concept of sharing has been adopted as a business model. The cool business terms are peer-to-peer (P2P) networks, collaborative consumption, and the access economy. Toss these terms around in business conversation.
The economy may become increasingly jobless, but there will be plenty of work -- So says The Futurist. “Rather than worry about unemployment, tomorrow’s workers will focus on developing a variety of skills that could keep them working productively and continuously, whether they have jobs or not. It’ll be about finding out what other people need done, and doing it.” Uh, is't this what you call...freelancing?
Medical supply and equipment costs are abatingunder market pressure, says Price Waterhouse research. That’s good. The other side of the coin is “medical cost trends will move upward next year (wow, what a surprise) due to the uptick in patient utilization rising as the economy strengthens and medical advances are driving growth in high-cost care and catastrophic claims.” But you know, none of us really knows what healthcare and medicine will look like until Obamacare unfolds itself starting in 2014
Neuroscientists may be able to predict what you’ll do before you do it. Talk about predictions. Again The Futurist has an eagle eye on fascinating ideas. “The intention to do something, such as grasp a cup, produces blood flow to specific areas of the brain, so studying blood-flow patterns through neuroimaging could give researchers a better idea of what people have in mind.”
Another subject that’s near and dear to my heart is -
Professional video gaming competitions – PR News Wire says these are poised to become mainstream phenomenon. Major League gaming is a driving force in this movement drawing as much as 15,000 attendees and online viewing.
- Pantone http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/index.aspx
- Atlanta Journal and Consitution http://www.ajc.com/videos/business/2013-it-color-of-the-year/vjkHL/
- IT Business Edge http://www.itbusinessedge.com/slideshows/top-10-technology-trends-for-2013-07.html
- Powerhouse Factories http://www.powerhousefactories.com/three-trends-to-track-to-stay-ahead-of-the-curve-in-2013/
- House Beautiful http://www.housebeautiful.com/decorating/ideas/home-decorating-trends-2013-1212#slide-2
- The Indianapolis Recorder http://www.indianapolisrecorder.com/online_features/how_to/article_59866627-ea66-5354-8f7f-028e31803a59.html
- Triple Pundit http://www.triplepundit.com/2013/01/sharing-economy-innately-sustainable/
- The Futurist https://www.wfs.org/node/765
- Gadgets and Gear: http://www.gadgetsandgear.com/wearable-cameras-body-worn-spy-video.html
- Bon Appetit http://www.bonappetit.com/
- PR News Wire http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/major-league-gaming-secures-10-million-in-series-a-financing-from-ritchie-capital-to-build-worlds-first-professional-video-game-league-55394872.html
- HP http://h30458.www3.hp.com/us/us/ent/6-trends-shaking-up-media-and-entertainment_1266579.html
Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Friday, June 8, 2012
A herd of sheep have basically been parachuted down (okay transported) into the park to accomplish this goal in a sustainable way. And funny too. This plant, as you can see at below, is a monster that grows all over the highways and into people’s space. More on its history later.
Friday, April 20, 2012
Friday, March 23, 2012
- The Reaping – very reminiscent of Nazi Germany when people were rounded up for concentration camps
- Tribute training
- Images of the Capitol – terribly futuristic, grotesque costume
- The wall of fire – very effective
- Katniss blowing up the supply pile
- The Tracker Jacker swarm -- genetically engineered bees in the arena
- Awesome scenes of the Gamemakers at work with their virtual roundtable, creating digitized realities (reminded me of “Minority Report”)
- Not enough time spent in District 12
- No drunken entry for Haymitch during the Reaping
- Mockingjay pin wasn’t given by the Mayor’s daughter; it ended up being found in the Hob
- No explanation of the Avox servants (the mutes whose tongues were cut out as punishment)
- Underplayed poverty and suffering even in the arena
- The wolf-like mutts didn’t’ have the eyes of the dead tributes
- Didn’t see the hover craft retrieving the dead tributes
- Peeta’s leg injury and resulting prosthetic leg was left out
- No post-games makeover or body enhancements
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Read the article and see lots more photos over here on my friend Marci Miller's fun movie website Cinemoms which supports her movie club. And join up if you like.